Commercial versus Homemade
There is nothing so comforting than a nice homemade bowl of soup with crackers. The problem is getting a cracker that is not loaded with fats, sugars and chemicals. So, I make my own.
What? How bad could those crackers be? Very bad and this is so cheap and easy you will try it once and use it over and over again.
You probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen. You can alter the recipe by adding different spices and herbs to come up with ones you and your family prefer.
Plain Cracker Ingredients
- 1 Cup Oat, Brown Rice or all-purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Flaxseed meal (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5-7 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F)
- Combine salt and flour (and flaxseed meal)
- Mix in butter with fork or pastry blender
- Add 4 Tablespoons of water
Keep adding remaining water one at a time until the dough gets sticky – not thick like paste and not runny
- Mix well.
- Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin
- Roll mixture into a ball and begin rolling flat to 1/8″ thickness (very thin)
- Cover cookie sheet in parchment paper (you can use aluminum foil)
- Place dough on cookie sheet and lightly sprinkle with salt
- Pierce dough with a sharp knife in several places to avoid bubbles
- Brush top with melted butter or olive oil
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until lightly brown
Flavorful Seasonings –
Add 1 teaspoon of any or all of these to flour mix:
- Garlic powder
- Dried Herb mixture ( will need 1-2 Tablespoons more water)
As there are no preservatives, you need to use within 2-3 days.
Store in glass or tin jars