No Electric – Are You Prepared?
It has happened throughout the United States. It can be a severe lightning storm, a flood, an ice storm or a tornado. All of these have the potential of wiping out your electricity. Don’t panic! Be prepared.
Many items needed when the lights go out can be obtained cheaply at your local thrift store and at rummage or garage sales. Some of these items will be good for warm weather and others for cold weather. It depends when the storm hits and where you live.
Here is a list of things to consider at the rummage sales this weekend.
- Camping Gear – If it is summer, you can have a fun time outside with the kids. In winter, having everyone in one tent in the living room might keep you warmer. If you are lucky to have a fireplace in your home, this would be a good room to set up camp.
- Sleeping Bags
- Camp stove
- Small porta-potty
- Pudgy pie makers
- Hot dog or marshmallow skewers
- Oil lamps and oil
- Winter Clothing – Shirts, turtlenecks, gloves, hats and coats are cheaper at garage sales
- Manual Kitchen Tools –
- Bottle opener
- Can opener
- Charcoal Grill and charcoal
- Cast Iron Pans, skillets and Dutch Oven
- Candles and matches
- Emergency Supplies (someone always tends to trip in the dark, get too close to fire with marshmallows)
- Games and Puzzles for kids and adults
- Paper fans (if it is summer)
- 3 days of drinking water for each person
These are ideas to get you started thinking. Storm season comes into Wisconsin Every Spring and lasts through Winter! High winds, tornadoes, lightning strikes or ice storms can all know out power. It is better to be prepared than alone in the dark!