Coconut Oil Uses
I am sure you know about, heard about or read an article about coconut oil. The first time I purchased a jar I was surprised to see it was hard! This was not the “oil” I was thinking of for cooking.
That was over 5 years ago and I use it all over the house. Coconut oil is a natural oil, without chemicals, that can be a money-saver in all its uses.
Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
- Makeup Remover – This gentle oil can remove eye makeup with just a dab on a cotton ball. Rinse it off once the makeup is removed. It is a great moisturizer and does not pull and create problems in the eye area.
- Label Remover – Don’t buy that expensive goo that removes labels. Just dab the oil all over the sticker. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Then, depending on the glue, just rub off the sticker. Sometimes I need a sharp edge to scrap it off, but generally it comes off quite nicely. Wash the item with soap and water if applicable.
- Seal a Cutting Board – A wood cutting board needs upkeep. The best way to naturally do this is to use coconut oil. After washing your board, rub a tablespoon of coconut oil into the wood. This oil will seal the cracks and keep bacteria from forming before your next sealing. Repeat once a month or as needed.
- Coat a Shovel – It is winter in the midwest and normally that means shoveling snow. When we get a very wet snow, the snow tends to stick to the shovel and it hard to toss off. Rub a Tablespoon of coconut oil on the bottom and top of the shovel. It will keep the snow from sticking!
- Shaving “Lotion” – Put 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil in a plastic container (no glass in the shower please! Mix the coconut oil with 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Shave as usual. I use the EVOO to keep the blades from “clogging” so I keep getting a close shave.
- Keep Lips Smooth – Dry, cold weather is hard on a body. I put a scoop of coconut oil into a small, cleaned mint tin in my purse. Just smooth on the coconut oil on your lips and they will be moisturized for hours. Must less costly than expensive lip balms – and without chemicals.
- Cuticle Moisturizer – Just rub a dab (lightly) of coconut oil on your cuticles for a perfectly inexpensive way to keep cuticles healthy and moisturized.
What household or beauty routine substitute do you use coconut oil?