Making Your Own Carpet Cleaner
It is hard enough to get everything done in a day, so why make your own household cleaners? Because your family’s health is at stake.
Today’s cleaners are loaded with chemicals, may which have been shown to cause cancer in animals. Why not take a short bit of time to make a month’s supply and clean with healthy alternatives. Not to mention it is much less expensive than the commercial brands.
Here are some simple “recipes” to get you started. NOTE: I use essential oils instead of fragrance oils. Essential oils not only make the carpet smell good, but lavender oil helps keep germs and bacteria at bay. This makes it safe when babies crawl on floor (this is also true for your pets!)
Carpet Cleaner – Spray
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups distilled water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 20 drops clear essential oil (lavender has best anti-bacterial characteristics)
- Mix vinegar and water in a large bowl.
- Mix in salt until dissolved
- Stir in essential oil
- Pour half into pint size jar with cover and other half into a small spray bottle.
- Shake spray bottle vigorously before using each time.
- Spray on carpets until damp. If you have a stain, spray directly on stain.
- Rub stained area and repeat if necessary
- For stained and unstained carpets, let to dry
- Vacuum carpets
Carpet Cleaner – Powder
- 4 cups baking soda
- 30 drops lavender essential oil
- Mix baking soda and essential oil in a resealable jar (I use my mason jars – easy to find at thrift stores)
- Put on lid to container and shake.
Lid Instructions – alternatives
If you don’t want to buy a special mason jar lid for spices, you can make your own lid.
Put a square of cheesecloth over the mouth of jar and secure with a tight rubber band.
Another alternative is to clean and save a shaker jar from Parmesan cheese and use that!
- Shake onto carpets generously
- Let sit 1-2 hours or overnight
- Vacuum carpets