DIY Lip Balm
In Wisconsin, we have a long, dry winter for the most part. Even with a humidifier, it is easy to get chapped lips.
Instead of spending money on wax, chemical lip sticks, make your own for 1/3 the price!
I found a great deal on lip balm tubes and holder; I purchased 100 at a time and found several friends who wanted in on the deal and we split everything up! You can also use tins, as shown above.
When you make a recipe, it is easier to do about 10 tubes/tins at a time, but you can do less.
Here are my recipes I’ve collected. Fast, easy, cheap and all natural!
Coconut Oil Lip Balm
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Beeswax
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil or Shea Butter
- Mix Oils and beeswax in top of double boiler
- Slowly simmer over low heat
- Stir with wooden spoon until all are melted together
- Slowly pour into lip tubes (I pre-heat a glass measuring container with water in the microwave for 4 minutes. I pour off the water and then put the melted oils and wax into the hot measuring container. It pours more evenly)
- Let sit to cool. Pull out of tube holder and put on tube top to seal
Mocha Latte Lip Balm
- 1 Tablespoons Beeswax
- 1/2 Tablespoon Shea Butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cocoa Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 4 drops Vanilla Essential Oil
- 8 drops Coffee Essential Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cocoa Powder
- Melt the wax, shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil and honey over low heat stirring constantly. (in a double boiler)
- Remove from the stove and stir in the cocoa powder.
- Blend in the vanilla and coffee essential oils
- Carefully pour the mixture into the lip balm tins or tubes.
- Allow to cool completely before closing the lids
Peppermint Lip Balm – makes 4 lip balm pots
- 2 teaspoons Beeswax
- 4 teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 1-2 teaspoons Vitamin E Oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Melt the Beeswax, coconut oil and Vitamin E Oil over low heat stirring constantly. (In a double boiler)
- Let Wax mixture cool only slightly (too hot and essential oil will evaporate!)
- Mix in the peppermint oil
- Carefully pour the mixture into the lip balm tins, pots or tubes.
- Let cool completely before closing the lids
I purchase most of these ingredients from Bulk Apothecary, but most Rose Mountain has many of these items as well. Have fun. These are great in a “spa” gift package with your DIY bath salts and facial scrubs.
Share This with friends and family!