Why It’s Time to Prioritize Your Mouth
I have sensitive teeth and have always used a name brand toothpaste to help alleviate the cold and hot sensations when eating.
Unfortunately this is expensive, not to mention filled with chemicals. As a thyroid patient, I need to go as natural as possible, and so far it is working for me.
Here are some recipes that are inexpensive and easy to make. The only investment I suggest making is a re-usable toothpaste tube. I got mine from Amazon. There are a number that you can use. I like GoToob by HumanGear because it is food-safe, easy to fill and is easy to squeeze out.
I also make my own mouthwash. It is refreshing, inexpensive and better than commercial options, in my opinion.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 drops peppermint essential oil
Mix dry ingredients in small glass bowl.
Mix in essential oil until all soda/salt mixture is saturated and forms a paste.
Recipe to Stop Bad Breath
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup distilled warm water
- Mix cinnamon and honey in a medium glass bowl
- Add the water
- Stir until honey is melted
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Pour mixture into a glass jar or container with good sealing cover.
- Keep in refrigerator.
Use to eliminate bad breath. It is okay to swallow some of this as the mixture is a good preventative for colds and viruses and can boost your immune system.
1cup non-flouride water
4 drops essential oil (like peppermint, cinnamon or your favorite “taste”)
4 drops tea tree oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar or ¼ cup aloe vera juice)
1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
Optional: Stevia to sweeten if using vinegar
- Mix the water and vinegar together in a glass jar with tight lid
- Add the hydrogen peroxide
- Add tea tree oil
- Add essential oil of your choice
- Shake jar to mix all ingredients
- Do not swallow (as with all commercial mouthwash)