Ways To Cope With a Stuffy Nose
Being cooped up in winter is common in the northern climates. Many germs and bacteria take hold if you are not careful and washing your hands regularly.
It seems no matter how hard you try, inevitably someone in the family comes down with a stuffy nose. The dry air in the home only adds to this and can take a stuffy nose into a sinus infection or worse.
The best way to thwart winter colds and stuffy noses is to build up your immune system ahead of time.
Here is a list of things you and your family can do to prevent colds, or keep them to a minimum this winter.
- Take Vitamin C – Natural ways are through citrus fruits, but a good supplement will help.
- If you feel you are getting a stuffy nose, drink hot liquids. It will soothe your nose and throat.
- Use a Vaporizer – and add eucalyptus oil to it. This helps break up the mucus.
- Eat garlic in meals. It is great for draining the nasal passages and build immune system.
- Add 1 teaspoon grated ginger to a cup of tea or other warm beverage.
- Drink a glass of tomato juice, to add to your vitamin C
- Drink herbal tea, again it open stuffy nasal passages.
- Eat some hot chicken soup. Believe it or not, the warm vapors help the nasal passages, the chicken is a good protein and it makes everyone feel better.
- If you end up with a sore throat, mix 1 tablespoon of honey with ½ tablespoon of lemon juice. It works better than over-the-counter cough syrups.
These are just suggestions that have worked for my family. Any time we can DIY with natural ingredients, the less chemicals that enter our bodies.